The Federation has also released an image for the centennial year festivities. The centennial will be marked by a wide range of programs, events and special projects, some of which will take place in 2011, to lead up to the anniversary year.
The Snyders and Shapiras bring both significant community leadership expertise and also professional credentials to their positions. Edgar Snyder is President, Law Offices of Edgar Snyder & Associates, and Sandy is Chief Marketing Officer of the firm. David Shapira is Chairman, President and CEO of Giant Eagle, and Cindy is former Executive Director of National Council of Jewish Women.
The Snyders and Shapiras will oversee Centennial programs ranging from a 10-day community Mission to Israel, set to engage hundreds of Pittsburghers in special interest tracks, to the building of the Centennial Fund for a Jewish Future, an endowment campaign of the Federation’s Foundation established to ensure a perpetual stream of funding for programs that promote Jewish learning and engagement.
Some of the other activities are:
• A major donor centennial kick-off celebration, honoring Federation past presidents and founders of the Centennial Fund for a Jewish Future (fall).
• Yom Ha’atzmaut celebration, highlighting partner agencies and congregations (spring).
• Communitywide event featuring a dinner and a leading speaker or entertainer.
• History exhibit, showcasing the past century of the evolution of our Jewish community.
• Building the Centennial Fund for a Jewish Future, which is intended to ensure a perpetual stream of funding for programs that promote Jewish learning and engagement.
“We hope to involve everyone who wants to take part in this momentous celebration,” Federation Chair Bill Rudolph said in a prepared statement.
David and Cindy Shapira co-chair the Federation’s Jewish Community Foundation and its Centennial Fund for a Jewish Future Endowment Campaign. David is a past Federation chair and has held many other positions within the community.
Cindy currently sits on the Federation board and executive committee as well as the boards of the Jewish Federations of North America, Jewish Agency for Israel, Jewish Community Center and Community Day School. She is also a former executive director of National Council of Jewish Women, Pittsburgh Section.
Edgar Snyder currently is on the Federation executive committee, board of directors and funding committee, and he is an executive committee member of the American Jewish Joint Distribution committee and a member of the JFNA board of trustees and its Israel/overseas committee.
Sandy has served on the Federation’s board of directors, missions committee and communications/ marketing committee.